Featured Not resolved
2.7
Turnaround Time

When beginning our retirement process for a new home, we visited many locations of sample homes.We thought the quality of the model home would be our home.

Instead we get a home with problems from day one. First our concrete driveway cracking all the way, we are told they cracked and we drove a tractor on it, however we were in a different state. We had holes in the wall, paint issuesm doors not installed properly, kitchen cabinete molding falling down. Some of these were fixed with much prodding and pushing.

As days progress we keep fidning more issues. The siding was put on sloppy and not correct in some places. Nails in drain holes. After pleading for months someone came out and fixed some issues.

We went to do landscaping and found concrete buried from a mistake on where porch was to be. A light in master bedroom rusting. Screws missing on almost every door if there they are stripped. Today GM came to the house and told me the siding was not wrong and that is how they do it in this area.

I told him I saw three new houses that were not like that in this area that didn't represent that. I told him I had pictures and he responded he didn't build those houses. I got angry with his response of them not going to fix it. The people that they hire mostly do not speak English and some don't have correct working documentation.

When I signed with them I didn't expect the sloppy unprofessional and poor quailty work. That is when I lost it, I am human and it was my earnings and money for my dream home. I am sorry to GM, but after a year of lies and empty promises I am so frustrated. I spent alot of money on this home and expected way more than I got.

My dream house has become my nightmare.I have many pics to back up claims.

Review about: Schumacher Homes House Construction.

Reason of review: Damaged or defective.

Preferred solution: Repair to our liking of siding...repair or compensation on driveway, hardware put in doors, and light replaced..

Had an Experience with Schumacher Homes?

Comments

Do you find the problem is more with the trades Schumacher hired for your project or Schumacher itself.I was considering using them (here in the Triangle area - North Carolina) and know several people in the building industry that I would prefer to use as the trades on my project (if that is allowed).

If the trades were the issue I wonder if using my preferred companies would solve that issue.

I am interested in your opinion.I have only gone to an open house and haven't visited the Benson office yet.

to Sharon M #1375702

Both

to Anonymous #1378472

I don't believe your partners would be allowed. They have a contract stating this.

No issue has not been resolved. Still looking for hardware and light fixed....Siding to our satisfaction and something about driveway.

So you got a well trained inspector?Just one?

And you didn't realize any of these problems before buying?

This seems like something that should be inspected prior.

Its not hard to turn on the water for 10 minutes and tell them you're making sure everything is fine.Especially if the water damage happened the first time it was used, this could have been prevented.

to Anonymous #1363243

County inspector had to go through our house for all stages of build.So our assumption he was qualified.

And we did realize pages of things that we brought to their attention, but unfortunately there were so many more severe than these. And some of these were discovered and we have been asking continually to be fixed to our satisifaction. So in answer to your question or statement, we did!!

We did check water in all areas except that one was overlooked.

All others were fine and believe me and that rate we were finding things and telling the personal builder our disatifaction and him telling us it would be taken care of, very easy to miss that bathroom.Trust me

Is this the Schumacher Homes of NE Ohio ?

They are large and grand with offices that look like a mansion.

However, I remember them back in the 80's when Leroy Schumacher personally begged our small company for a renovation contract because their company was nearly kaput.

Looks like they've taken a different tact and would prefer to deal with the ordinary (read : gullible, trusting) homeowner instead of professional engineers such as ourselves ....

to Smitty #1363244

Schumacher Homes whose corporate office located in Canton Ohio. Yes, too bad they don't build their homes to match their model homes.

We forgot to mention the water leak that happened first time guests use shower in bathroom. How it passed inspection. ..